Chocolate Applesauce Cake
Adding applesauce makes this cake extremely moist, and you won’t believe how delicious it tastes with chocolate too. Serve sprinkled with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9” x 13” (3.5L) baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium mixing bowl. Stir well to blend.
- Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half of dry mixture to wet ingredients. Add applesauce and then remaining dry mixture. Beat after each addition.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Have your kids get the pan ready for the batter. Do they know why you have to grease the pan or line it with parchment paper? It makes it easy to lift the cake out of the pan once it’s finished baking.
With a little help from you, let your kids place the butter and sugar in the bowl of the electric mixer while it’s turned off. Have them stand back and watch to see how the sugar disappears as it mixes together with the butter.
Once the batter is poured into the pan, give your kids a spatula and have them spread it. They’ll love sprinkling the chocolate chips and nuts over the batter too.
- dry measuring cup
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- 9” x 13” (3.5L) baking pan
- medium mixing bowl
- wooden spoon or spatula
- large mixing bowl
- hand held or electric stand mixer
- wire cooling rack
|Servings Per Recipe||Per 1 slice (90 g)|
|Saturated Fat||6.1 g|