Goody gumdrops! Make these colourful cupcakes together with your kids and enjoy every delicious and beautiful bite.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk sugar, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla together in a separate large bowl. Stir in flour mixture. Stir gumdrops into the batter. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden or a toothpick inserted in centre of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes then move to a rack to let cool completely.
- Icing: Beat shortening, icing sugar, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer, on low speed for 1 minute, increase speed to medium high and continue beating for 5 minutes. If icing is too thick, thin out with 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk at a time.
- Spread icing over cooled cupcakes then decorate with your favourite candies.
Set up 2 bowls and have your helpers measure out the dry ingredients in one and the liquid in another. Make sure they scoop the flour out of the bag before placing it in the measuring cup and levelling it off. Do they know why? Flour gets compacted in the bag, so this helps make sure you use just the right amount. It will help your cupcakes come out nice and moist.
Let the kids pick out their favourite colour of gumdrop. They can make some cupcakes one colour, and some multi-coloured.
Do your kids know why you cool the cupcakes on a wire cooling rack? It allows air to flow underneath your baking, which prevents the bottoms from getting soggy.
While the cupcakes are cooling, have your kids help make the icing and pick out which candies they want to use to decorate. Try matching the colours that are in the cupcakes!