Sparkly Cake Pops
Serve these moist and delicious bite-sized pops that your kids will love help decorate. Cake has never been quite this much fun!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease an 8” x 8” (2 L) baking dish with butter. This will keep your batter from sticking to the dish.
- Cake: Beat shortening and sugar, in a medium bowl, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl. Add half of flour mixture to wet ingredients. Add evaporated milk and then remaining dry mixture. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared dish.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Icing: Place all ingredients in small bowl of electric mixer. Beat well until smooth.
- Place cake, when cold, in a large bowl. With clean fingers, a pastry blender or fork, crumble the cake into small crumbs.
- Stir in icing and keep smushing away. The icing will make the cake crumbs stick together. Once completely incorporated, place a tbsp (15 mL) of mixture into the palm of your hand and roll into balls.
- Decorating time! Roll your pops into the sprinkles and other toppings of your choice.
Teach your kids this quick trick to measuring shortening: pour ½ cup (125 mL) of water into a measuring cup and get your kids to add shortening until the water is leveled at ¾ cup (175 mL). Pour the water out and you’ll be left with a ¼ cup (50 mL) of shortening.
Let your kids measure out each ingredient for the icing beforehand. When it’s time to blend, everything will be ready to go.
Your kids will love washing their hands, rolling up their sleeves, breaking apart the cake and rolling the dough into balls. Keeping the dough cold will make it easier to shape them.
Your kids will have a blast rolling their pops! Set up a decorating station with sprinkles, chocolates and nuts. Try using about 1 cup (250 mL) of sprinkles - you’ll have about ¼ cup (50 mL) left over, but it’s easier to roll with a little bit extra.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 serving (1.0 oz/ 28 g)|