Zesty Lime Cookies
These wonderfully simple sugar cookies have a delectable lime flavour. They’re wonderful with tea or packed along in kids’ lunches.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat shortening and sugar in a large bowl using electric mixer until well combined. Add zest and lime juice. Beat well. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together.
- Roll 2 tbsp (30mL) dough on a lightly floured surface to form a 4” (10cm) log. Curl into a ring and gently press ends together. Your cookie will look like a small donut. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Glaze: Combine ingredients for glaze in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cookies to create a zigzag pattern and wait for the glaze to set.
- You can roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes. Your baking time should be 10 to 12 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Add a few drops of green food colouring to one half of the dough. Take 1 tbsp (15mL) of the green dough and 1 tbsp (15mL) of the uncoloured dough. Roll each into 4” (10cm) logs and twist together. Your baking time will be 15 to 17 minutes.