Candy Cane Shortbread Bars
Everyone will be celebrating when they try these festive bars made with our Melt-in-Your-Mouth Shortbread Cookies recipe and a sweet chocolate and mint topping.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Grease a 10” x 15” (25 cm x 38 cm) baking pan and line with parchment paper, overlapping two sides for easy removal.
- Shortbread: Cream butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed until very light in texture, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and continue beating until sugar is completely combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine flour and corn starch in a separate large bowl. Add to butter mixture on low speed until well combined.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Topping: As soon as shortbread is removed from the oven, immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crust. Wait 10 minutes for chocolate to melt and spread evenly over crust. Sprinkle with chopped candies.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has set. Cut into 1” x 2” (2.5 cm x 5 cm) bars.
Gotta hand it to your kids! Ask your little helpers to use their freshly-washed hands to make handprints in the dough while helping you press it down.
Little hands can take turns crushing up the candy cane topping! For an easy, no mess technique, seal the candy canes in a re-sealable zipper storage bag and have your kids use a rolling pin to gently crush them into smaller pieces.
- For a nutty twist, try substituting candy with chopped nuts.