Dulce De Leche Bars
These goodies combine sweet chocolate and crunchy toffee to make a decadent bar the whole family will love. Warning: they won’t last long!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9” (23 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper so the ends overhang for easy removal.
- Beat together, in a large bowl with an electric mixer, butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, mix in flour and graham crumbs. Press mixture into base of prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until light golden.
- Filling: Pour sweetened condensed milk into microwaveable 8-cup (2 L) wet measure. Microwave on medium (50 %) power for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir in toffee bits. Microwave on medium-low or defrost (30 %) power for 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, or until golden brown and thickened. Pour over baked crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Topping: Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in top of double boiler. Spread lightly over filling. Drizzle white chocolate over. Let set completely before cutting into small bars.
Show your kids how to make homemade butter! Have them pour a tablespoon (15 mL) of room temperature whipping cream into a small jar, cover it with a lid and shake! Get them to pass it around the room so that everyone can have a chance to shake the jar until the cream forms into a ball. Pour off the excess cream and your unsalted butter is ready to use.
Why not buy graham crackers whole and make it an activity to crumble them? Place a handful of crackers in a sandwich bag (make sure it’s tightly sealed) and let your kids gently smash them up!
Keeping track of time is key. Have your kids add up how many minutes the “filling” step takes. Don’t forget about the chilling time!
Another fun way your kids can add some extra crunch and another layer of flavour is to break up their favourite candy bar, pretzels or nuts by using the sandwich bag technique above and then sprinkling the crumbs on top.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 bar (1.1 oz)|