Ooey Gooey Date Squares
Set a date to bake these delicious squares with your kids. They’ll love the sweet taste and ooey gooey filling.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly oil and line a 9” x 9” (2.5 l) baking dish with parchment paper, overlapping 2 sides for easy removal.
- Filling: combine filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10-15 minutes. Cool.
- Base and topping: Cream butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer. Add remaining dry ingredients. Mixture will be a bit crumbly. Reserve 1 cup (250ml) for topping.
- Pat remaining 3 cups onto bottom of prepared pan. Spread with date mixture. Sprinkle remaining cup (250ml) of oat mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.
Let your kids measure out the parchment paper and line the baking dish. Be sure there’s enough to fit inside and overlap the edges.
Have your kids measure out the butter and let them discover how firmly they need to pack the brown sugar.
Your kids will love feeling the mixture in between their fingers when they pat it down into the bottom of the pan.