Strawberry Lemon Slices
Get your kids to help make all three layers of this tasty citrus treat. With strawberry jam and lemon zest, it tastes as refreshing as it looks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and Line a 9” x 13” (3 L) baking dish with parchment paper, overlapping the longer sides for easy removal.
- Crust: Pour flour, icing sugar and salt into food processor bowl fitted with metal blade. Pulse until blended. Add cold, cubed butter and process mixture until it looks like little crumbs, about 15 seconds. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press firmly onto the bottom of pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 15 to 18 minutes, until edges are golden.
- Filling: Beat the eggs in a large bowl with a handheld whisk until they are well mixed. Add the sweetened condensed milk and beat until it is fully incorporated. Whisk in lemon juice and zest.
- Spread jam over hot crust. Pour filling over.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until filling has set.
Instead of using a food processor, have your kids blend the flour, sugar, salt and butter in the palms of their hands like a French chef would do. Give them hats to wear and let them pretend they’re real chefs. They’ll love the feeling of the ingredients between their fingers too.
While your cake is baking, create personal place mats together with your kids. Try using 11” x 17” sized piece of paper and decorate with markers, crayons or stickers to personalize their eating spots at the table. If you don’t have paper, use this time to prepare some fresh lemonade to accompany your dessert!
Try switching the strawberry jam for blueberry, raspberry, apricot or whatever is your kids’ favourite flavour. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, try making three times the recipe with different Smucker’s jams for each one.
|1 Slice (36)|
|Portion Size (1.40 oz)|
|Saturated Fat||3.2 mg|