Trail Mix Knots
Your little ones will love the yummy oats and trail mix in this oven-fresh goodie. Make it using our Soft & Simple White Bread Video Technique.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well. Add yeast to a large bowl.
- Heat milk to lukewarm. Stir in butter, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, salt and 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Add milk mixture and 2 cups (500 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer, and add enough flour until dough is smooth, elastic and leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to greased top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Knead in trail mix. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Cover with tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8” (20 cm) rope. Tie into a knot.
- Place on prepared baking sheets. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Combine oats and brown sugar in small bowl. Brush rolls with egg and sprinkle with oat mixture.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) on lower oven rack for 22 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Let kids do what kids to best, get their hands dirty! Show them how to work the dough, then step back and let them go to town.
Here’s a game! Let your little one tie the knots alongside you. Then, after they are out of the oven, try and guess whose was whose! Or raise the stakes by appointing a family member to judge and award one of you as the ultimate knot tier.