Your kids will love helping to bake these yummy toasties. They’re filled with strawberry jam and have a delicious iced topping.
- Pour flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 mL) water over flour mixture. Using a fork, mix until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed. Add remaining water by tablespoon (15 mL), if needed.
- Shape dough into a ball. Divide in half. Form each half into ½” (1 cm) thick rectangles. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll, on a piece of plastic wrap, 1 piece into a rectangle measuring about 9” x 12” (23 x 30 cm). Cut into 12 equal pieces. On 6 pieces, spread with 1 tbsp (15 mL) jam, leaving a ½” (1 cm) border.
- Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water in a small bowl. On the 6 pieces without jam, lightly brush with egg mixture. Sandwich egg-brushed side down pieces with jam pieces. Using prongs of a fork, press edges to seal and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Reserve egg mixture.
- Topping: Lightly brush tops with reserved egg mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Stir icing sugar with evaporated milk in separate small bowl. Spread over cooled toasties.
Teach your kids division without them even realizing it! Give them a clean ruler used only for food and show them how to measure out the dough.
Let your kids have some fun sticking the two sides of the toastie together with jam. Give them some measuring spoons to scoop out the right amount of jam and let them go!
Have your kids press down the edges of the dough. As long as they seal the dough together, they can try making different patterns with the fork.
Have your kids measure out and stir together the topping, then spread it over the cooled toasties.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 toastie (2.5 OZ)|