These sweet and spicy treats are surprisingly easy to make. Your kids will love to help, and they’ll be proud to share the delicious spirals with everyone.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. With mixer on low, gradually add flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Divide dough in half; press into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Filling: Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in small mixing bowl. Drizzle butter over, stirring until mixture is well moistened.
- Roll out 1 disc of dough into 14” x 5” (36cm x 10cm) rectangle between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Spread half the filling over, leaving slight border at long end. Brush ends with water.
- Tightly roll, using waxed paper as support, and starting from the long edge, up dough jelly roll style, pinching ends. Wrap firmly in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes or for up to 24 hours. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Unwrap dough and slice into ¼” (5mm) or 1/2" (10mm) slices. Place 1“(2.5cm) apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven for 15 minutes or until light golden.
Have your kids add in the baking powder and tell them how it helps lighten the texture of your treats.
Let your kids brush the dough with water and show them how it will help it stick together and stay in a spiral shape.
Let’s get things rolling! Your kids will love helping to roll up the dough to make a giant spiral.