Your kids will love the sweet taste of honey and brown sugar in these great tasting cookies. They’re filled with crunchy sunflower, flax, sesame and pumpkin seeds.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar, honey, eggs and vanilla together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine, in a separate large bowl, flour, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture gradually, beating until blended. Stir in oats, cranberries, nuts and seeds. Mix well. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls (5 mL) about 2” (5 cm) apart onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
Do your kids know which number the electric mixture should be on? Show them that you use number 5 for liquid mixtures, number 1 for adding dry mixtures, and number 3 for incorporating all the ingredients.
Let your kids set the timer on the stove. If they have an hourglass timer from a board game, let them see how many times they have to turn it over before the cookies are ready.
- Replace cranberries with chocolate chips for a more decadent treat.
- Store wheat germ and whole wheat flour in freezer to keep the flavour fresh.
- Use large flake oats for a more oaty look and taste. Honey makes a softer cookie that keeps well, not to mention the great flavour.