Milk Chocolate Fudge Crackles
These chocolate treats are so good you have to see them to believe it. Turn on the oven light and let your kids watch the icing sugar coating magically crackle before their eyes!
- Melt, in a glass bowl in microwave, shortening and semi-sweet chocolate chips on medium (50 %) for 1 to 2 minutes. Add in sugar and then eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Add next 4 ingredients; mix well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 1 ½ hours to 8 hours.
- Sift, in a shallow bowl, icing sugar. Between palms of hand, roll pieces of chilled dough to form 1 ¼” (3 cm) balls. Drop balls into icing sugar and toss lightly until well coated. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets and flatten very slightly.
- Repeat with remaining dough and remaining icing sugar, spacing about 1 ½” (4 cm) apart on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes or until just beginning to feel firm when pressed in centre. Let cool on baking sheet on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer crackles to wire racks to cool completely.
Your kids will enjoy cracking the eggs. Let them practice in a separate bowl.
Do your kids know why the dough needs to chill? This makes it easier to work with and mold into different shapes.
Let’s get rolling! Have your kids wash their hands set up a rolling station and, using a tablespoon (15 ml), let your kids scoop up the dough and form it into balls. This will help to keep them around the same size.
After the balls of dough have been rolled, get your kids to coat them with icing sugar.
Switch it up! Try substituting the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips and the icing sugar with cocoa! Your kids will love this yummy spin on the look and taste of their cookies.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 cookie (0.9 OZ)|