These delicious little scones made with strawberry jam are a perfect project to make with kids. Why not bake up a batch and plan a tea party?
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scones: Combine, in a large bowl, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add lemon zest. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine, in a medium bowl, milk and eggs. Add to flour mixture. Gather together into a ball and knead everything gently together. Do not over mix.
- Pat, on a lightly floured surface, dough out until it is approximately ¾” (2 cm) thick. Cut into 2” (5 cm) rounds. Gather up scraps and repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Press centres down gently with a tablespoon to make a depressed area to hold the jam. Spoon 1 tbsp (15 ml) jam into centres.
- Bake in preheated oven, 16 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Glaze: Combine, in a small bowl, icing sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over scones when they come out of the oven and then again 10 minutes later.
Teach your kids about fractions. Make an experiment by having them measure 1 cup into a container and then measure three 1/3 cups into a separate container. Does it equal the same amount?
Let your kids knead the dough with their clean hands - no equipment necessary! They'll love feeling the texture between their fingers.
Have your kids pick their favourite cookie cutters and try making stars, hearts, triangles or anything they’d like! They could also use their hands to shape mini-sized scones.
While the scones are baking, have your kids make different coloured icing. Just add a few drops of food colouring to the glaze and drizzle away!
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Scone (5 oz)|