Sweet and Salty Chocolate Caramel Bars
A little bit sweet, a little bit salty and a whole lot delicious. Freezes well too! Cooking Eagle Brand Dulce de Leche Caramel Flavoured Sauce for five minutes creates a thick caramel sauce that you can spread over the layers of dough. Top it off with a coating of melted milk chocolate or dark chocolate and sprinkles of sea salt.
|2 cups||500 mL Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour|
|½ tsp||2 mL baking soda|
|¾ cup||175 mL butter, melted|
|½ cup||125 mL brown sugar, packed|
|½ cup||125 mL granulated sugar|
|2 tsp||10 mL pure vanilla extract|
|10 oz||300 g chopped milk chocolate, divided|
|1 can||300 mL Eagle Brand® Dulce de Leche Caramel Flavoured Sauce|
|1 tsp||5 mL sea salt, divided|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9” (23 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, overlapping the sides for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until just combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add flour and baking soda and mix on low, until dough is formed. Stir in half of chocolate (150 g).
- Bring caramel flavoured sauce to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir constantly, cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide dough in half.
- Press half into prepared pan. Spread thickened caramel flavoured sauce over dough. Sprinkle with ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt. Drop remaining dough over caramel flavoured sauce and spread until covered.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Melt reserved chocolate (150 g) and pour evenly on top of bars. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt. Let cool. Cut into squares.
- Try replacing milk chocolate with dark chocolate.
- To melt chocolate, bring 1-2” (2.5 cm-5 cm) of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place chocolate in heat proof bowl and place bowl over boiling water. Ensure bottom of bowl does not touch the water. Remove saucepan from heat. Let stand 3-5 minutes and stir.