Makes:36 1” (2.5 cm) squares
With a lovely lemon taste, these refreshing and sophisticated bars are easy to make and great for tea parties or bake sales.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease and line 9” x 13” (3 L) baking dish with parchment paper, overlapping two sides for easy removal.
- Base: Place flour, icing sugar and salt in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade. Pulse until blended. Add cold, cubed butter and process mixture until it looks like fine meal, about 15 seconds.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan and press firmly onto the bottom of pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Filling: Beat eggs in a large bowl with a handheld whisk. Add the sugar and beat until it is fully incorporated. Add the flour and baking powder. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Pour the filling over the hot crust and bake for an additional 18 to 20 minutes, or until the filling has set.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack. When completely cool, dust with icing sugar if desired.
- If you prefer a sweeter lemon square simply add an additional 1/4-1/2 cup (50-125mL) sugar.
|Serving Size per recipe||1 Square (30 g)|