Braided Chocolate Bread
Makes:1 large loaf
Your kids will love braiding this delicious bread, not to mention eating it after!
- Dissolve sugar in water in large mixing bowl. Sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add 3 cups (750 mL) of flour, salt and next 5 ingredients and mix until a rough dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead, dusting with flour as necessary, for 10 minutes or until a smooth elastic dough forms.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm, draft-free area for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down dough; knead in chocolate. Divide dough into quarters; roll into 18” (45 cm) long ropes and braid. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm, draft-free area for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Brush egg over surface of bread.
- Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Let cool on baking sheet on wire rack, 30 to 60 minutes.
|Servings Per Recipe||2 slices (3.7 OZ)|