Hot Cross Buns
Your guests will be crossing their fingers that you’re serving these yummy buns made with cinnamon, cloves, raisins and candied fruit and topped with sweet icing.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Combine warm milk, 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar and salt.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, butter, egg, spices and 1 cup (250 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat for 3 minutes.
- Add raisins and candied fruit.
- Stir in about 2 3/4 cups (675 mL) remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is no longer sticky (about 5 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with parchment paper and tea towel.
- Let Rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (60 to 90 minutes).
- Punch Down. Turn out onto floured board. Divide into 16 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place 2" (5 cm) apart on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly; cover with tea towel.
- Let Rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Brush buns with mixture of egg yolk and water, if desired.
- Cut a cross in top of each bun with a sharp knife. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Mix together ingredients for the icing and spread over cooled buns.
- This recipe makes 16 buns. Why not decorate your buns with a cross of white icing after the buns have cooled? If you're not serving the buns immediately, hold off on decorating them; they'll be easier to store.