Orange Scented Easter Bread
This beautifully braided bread adds orange zest for a fresh twist on a holiday favourite. Serve it for brunch and enjoy it together with the whole family!
- Combine yeast, sugar, salt and 2 cups (500ml) of the flour in a large bowl with a whisk or in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook. Add the warm milk, eggs, butter and orange zest. Mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add remaining flour, ½ cup (125ml) at a time (you may not need all the flour), until dough is too stiff to stir by hand or if using a mixer, it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Just add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead dough 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes in a mixer.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and roll around to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 – 1 ½ hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into 3 strands and roll onto long ropes 14” (36cm) long. Braid 3 strands together and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 190ºF (88ºC). If making 1 large bread, bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Glaze: Combine icing sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over warm bread.