Twisted Chocolate Bread
Makes:2 loaves (16 slices each)
Your kids will love helping you twist up this delicious chocolaty bread made with our Soft and Simple White Bread Video Technique.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well. Add yeast mixture to large bowl.
- Heat milk to lukewarm. Stir in butter, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, salt and 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Add milk mixture and 2 cups (500 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to greased top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Combine sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl.
- Punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Cover with tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each portion into an 8” x 20” (20 cm x 51 cm) rectangle.
- Spread butter evenly over dough, sprinkle with cocoa mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate.
- Roll up tightly from the long side into a log. Seal seams together. Twist dough in a figure eight. Twist once more in the same direction. Place in 2 greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (1.5 L) loaf pans. Cover with tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place until dough rises to top of pan in centre and corners are filled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) on lower oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans immediately. Brush top crust with butter if a soft crust is desired. Cool on wire racks.
- Replace Robin Hood Best for Bread Homestyle White Flour with Robin Hood Best For Bread Whole Wheat or Multigrain.
- This recipe makes 2 loaves. For 4 loaves, simply double all of your ingredients.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Slice (40 g)|