Whole Wheat Bread
Makes:2 loaves (16 slices each loaf)
If you’ve never baked from scratch, this tender and nutty recipe is a terrific place to start. It’s great for sandwiches or enjoyed fresh from the oven.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) warm water, molasses, salt, shortening and 2 cups (500 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in 2 3/4 cups (675 mL) of remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board. Round up into ball.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased large bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Round up each portion. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in two greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (22 x 7 x 6cm) (1.5 L) loaf pans. Cover with a tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place until dough rises 1 1/2" (3 cm) above top of pan in centre, and corners are filled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Bake in preheated oven, on lower oven rack, for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°F (180°C) and bake 20 to 30 minutes more. Remove from pans immediately. Brush top crust with butter if a soft crust is desired. Cool on wire racks.
- This recipe makes 2 loaves. For 4 loaves, simply double all of your ingredients.
- For a lighter tasting flavour omit molasses; add 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar and use 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups (1125-1375 mL) flour.
|Servings Per Recipe||Per 2 slices (86 g)|
|Saturated Fat||2.2 g|