Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Spray liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Dissolve instant coffee in 3/4 cup (175 mL) boiling water; whisk in cocoa powder until blended. Let cool slightly and stir in buttermilk.
- In large bowl and using electric mixer, beat together avocado, sugar, sweetener, eggs and vanilla until smooth. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low, add three parts of the flour mixture alternately with two parts of the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups; bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted in centre of cupcake comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from muffin pan; let cool completely.
- In food processor, combine mashed avocado, icing sugar, sweetener, cocoa powder and vanilla; pulse until smooth. Spread over cooled cupcakes.
Chocolate Avocado Icing:
- Be sure to use very ripe avocados for the best flavour. Look for avocados with very dark skin that yield to light pressure when gently pressed to form a small indentation.
- For a pretty presentation, pipe icing over cupcakes using a large plain or star tip.