Makes:6 cupcakes or 20 mini cupcakes
Get the whole family to help make these crawly cupcakes. Decorate them together with your favourite candies for a unique treat that’s one of a kind.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Cupcakes: Beat shortening and sugar until light. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Stir with a fork. Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Add evaporated milk and then the remaining dry ingredients. Use an ice cream scoop to place batter into six cupcake papers.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 20 to 25 minutes for large cupcakes or 15 minutes for minis, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing. Cool cupcakes on wire rack before decorating.
- Icing: Place shortening, 1 ½ cups (375mL) icing sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla in a bowl. Mix with hand held mixer.
- Beat for 5 minutes. Add remaining icing sugar ½ cup (125mL) at a time, beating for ½ minute each addition.
- Decorating Ideas: Spread a heaping tablespoon (15mL) of icing on top of six large or six mini cupcakes. Reserve one for the head. Decorate the body with decorative sugar sprinkled in a pattern. Put on spots with mini dot candy. Decorate the head with eyes from gummy candy, dot candy, mints, etc. For the mouth, use mini fruit slices or fruit “O “cereal, etc. Use licorice strings or pretzels for the legs and antennae. The moist icing will hold the decorations. Allow to dry.
- Add a few drops of yellow or green food colouring to tint icing.