Gingerbread Caramel Cupcakes
A holiday twist on the traditional gingerbread cookie. The perfect cupcake just got a little bit spicier!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 regular sized cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Cupcake: Cream shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to egg mixture. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Add half the milk and another third of the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Add remaining milk and end with the flour mixture.
- Place batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cupcake comes out clean. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat all ingredients for icing excluding milk. Add 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) of milk if icing is too thick.
- Add fun toppings such as caramel drizzles to dress up your cupcakes for the occasion! View our Caramel Drizzles recipe.