Berries & Cream Cake
Freezing:excellent, without filling or icing
With fresh berries, rich whipping cream and sweet white chocolate, this recipe starts with our Irresistibly Easy White Cake and adds a decadent and delicious twist.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9” (23 cm) cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until combined. Add half the milk and another third of the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Add remaining milk and end with the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Lightly tap pans on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes until lightly golden or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake and invert pan onto rack to remove. Turn cake top side up.
- Cool completely before icing.
- Filling: Whip cream in a large bowl until thick and cream holds its shape. Beat in vanilla. Fold in melted and cooled white chocolate.
- Assembly: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate or cake board. Spread 1 ½ cups (375mL) filling over layer. Top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer. Ice top and sides of cake with remaining whip cream and white chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Decorate with chocolate dipped strawberries if desired.
- To melt chocolate, bring 1-2” (2.5 cm-5 cm) of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place chocolate in heat proof bowl and place bowl over boiling water. Ensure bottom of bowl does not touch the water. Remove saucepan from heat. Let stand 3-5 minutes and stir.
- To make chocolate dipped strawberries melt 4 oz (125g) white, milk or semi-sweet chocolate. Hold strawberries by the stem and dip into melted chocolate. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
|Servings Size per recipe||1 serving (170 g)|