Berry Upside Down Cake
You’ll flip over this moist and fruity, streusel bottomed delight baked using our White Cake Video Technique.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Pour melted butter into 9” x 13” baking dish. Brush butter up the sides of the dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Place berries over the brown sugar.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon zest and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until combined. Add half the milk and another third of the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Add remaining milk and end with the flour mixture.
- Spread batter over berries.
- Combine streusel mixture in a small bowl. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake and invert pan onto serving plate. Your fruit will now be on the top and the crunchy streusel will be on the bottom. Serve warm or room temperature.
- If using frozen fruit just take it right from the freezer and place in the baking dish.
- Replace the berries with sliced peaches, plums, cranberries or traditional pineapple slices.