Cranberry Upside-down Cake
Made with cranberries, brown sugar and a hint of lemon, this recipe is a tasty twist on a classic upside-down cake. Try serving it warm from the oven for a weekend brunch or dessert.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Pour melted butter into a 9” (2L) square baking dish. Brush butter up sides. Sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of pan. Place cranberries over sugar.
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until light. Beat in egg, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl. Stir into creamed mixture alternating with yogurt, starting and ending with dry mixture. Spread batter over cranberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on rack for 5 minutes. Run knife around edges of pan and invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm or room temperature.
- You can replace the cranberries with blueberries, raspberries, sliced peaches, or the traditional pineapple slices.
- If using frozen fruit, just take it right from the freezer and place in the baking dish.