Toasted Pecan and Ginger Cake
Ground ginger gives this cake a delicious aromatic flavour. Toasted pecans and crystallized ginger add texture while the lemon glaze helps to bring out all the flavours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a 10” (4L) tube pan.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, ground ginger, pecans and crystallized ginger in a separate large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture one third at a time, alternating with the milk, finishing with the flour mixture. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine, when cake is cool, icing sugar and lemon juice in small bowl. Drizzle over cake.
- You can replace the crystallized ginger with ½ cup (125mL) raisins or dried cranberries.