Ginger Puzzle Piece Cookies
Try this fun new twist on an old classic with your kids. They’ll love helping to piece together these delightfully delicious gingerbread cookies.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cookies: Cream, in a large bowl of an electric mixer, butter and sugar until well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add remaining dry ingredients and beat into butter mixture just until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for 1 hour for easy rolling.
- Line two 15” x 10” (40 cm x 25 cm) baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 4 pieces (puzzle boards). Roll each piece to form a rectangle ¼” (5 mm) thick, about 5” x 7” (13 x 18 cm) each.
- Transfer your puzzle boards to prepared baking sheets. Using cookie cutters, cut puzzle piece shapes into dough, allowing at least 1” (5 cm) between each shape. Cut through dough, but do not remove shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until edges start to lightly brown. Remove from oven and retrace shapes with knife. Return to oven for 7 to 8 minutes. Cool on pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove puzzles to wire racks. Cool completely, 15 minutes.
- Icing & paint: Combine, in a medium bowl, icing sugar with water. To make fancy colours, divide into small containers. Add a different food colouring to each bowl. Decorate shapes with coloured icings, sugars and small candies. Put the puzzle back together.
|Serving Size per recipe||1 Puzzle (8.9 oz)|