Use this recipe to create playdough that's fun for all kids. But remember it should be used for art only and is not meant to be eaten.
|2 cups||500 mL Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour|
|1 cup||250 mL salt|
|1/4 cup||50 mL Crisco® Vegetable Oil|
|1 cup||250 mL water|
|food colouring, optional|
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add vegetable oil and stir. Add water a little at a time and stir until dough holds together.
- Knead on floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Divide dough into several pieces.
- Add food colouring if using and knead until colour is evenly incorporated. Store in airtight container until needed.
- The dough can now be molded into any shape you or your kids would like. Try our Robin Hood cookie cutter shapes or just use your imagination.
- Your children's creations can either be air dried for 48 hours or baked on parchment lined baking sheets at 325ºF (160ºC). Bake for 30 minutes per 1/4" (0.3cm) of dough. Turn off oven and allow creations to cool completely in the oven. This will prevent cracking.
- If dough is air drying, it is ready to decorate when dough is rock hard and white in appearance.
- Flour your hands occasionally to prevent the dough from sticking.
- To stick two pieces of dough together, moisten with water and press into place.
- If some parts of dough are browning faster than others, cover with aluminum foil.
- To preserve your creation, spray with shellac (available at Craft Stores - have a parent do this!).