Raspberry Lemon Whoopie Pies
Makes:30 cookies (15 pies)
Serve up some of these refreshing treats and don’t be surprised if your guests shout out “whoopee!”. Zesty lemon cookies are sandwiched together with sweet raspberry jam.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together evaporated milk and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine, in a medium bowl, flour, rind, baking soda and salt.
- Beat shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, add the flour and milk mixtures, starting and ending with the flour mixture and scraping down bowl between each addition.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons (15 mL) of batter; drop onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2” (5 cm) apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until tops are set. Cool on baking sheet on wire racks for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread underside of 1 cookie with jam. Sandwich with another cookie, flat side down. Repeat with remaining cookies and jam. Sprinkle icing sugar over top of pies and serve.
|1 pie (73 g)|