Classic Linzer Cookies
Makes:24 sandwich cookies
With a delicate shape and sweet taste, this holiday treat made with almonds and fruit spread is a traditional family favourite.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, butter and sugar until combined. Beat in next 3 ingredients, until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into 2 flat discs. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Roll, on a lightly floured surface, the discs to about ⅛” (0.3 cm) thick. Cut out cookies with a 2 ½” (6 cm) cookie cutter. Use a smaller cookie cutter to punch out a hole in the centre of half of the cookies. These will be the tops of the cookie sandwiches.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets 1” (2.5 cm) apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack, 30 minutes.
- Place cookies bottom side up and spread with 2 tsp (10 mL) fruit spread. Top with a cutout cookie. Press lightly to form a sandwich. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Choose your favourite themed cookie cutters for a special occasion or a holiday party.
- Try using other flavours of Smucker’s Simple Blends Fruit Spreads to add variety to your cookies.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Cookie (40 g)|