Gluten Free* Chocolate Cream Pie
This rich chocolate cream pie is a gluten free dream.
- Pie Crust: Place flour blend, sugar and salt in a food processor. Process for 10 seconds. Add cubed shortening and pulse until combined. With motor running add cold water and vinegar. Process until dough comes together.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes. While dough is chilling prepare filling.
- Roll dough from centre outward with steady pressure between 2 pieces or parchment paper into a circle 2” (5 cm) wider than 9” (23 cm) pie plate. Carefully remove top piece of parchment paper. Don’t worry if some dough sticks to the paper, simply peel it off. Using parchment paper prevents the crust from crumbling.
- Invert dough on the parchment paper into the pie plate. Keep parchment paper on to press dough into pie plate. Gently remove. Patch any tears. Flute dough.
- Pre-baking without weights: Thoroughly prick bottom and sides of unbaked pie dough with fork (50 times) to prevent it from blistering or rising. Bake crust in lower third of oven, at 425°F (210°C), 16 to 20 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- Pre-baking with weights: Thoroughly prick bottom and sides of unbaked pie dough with fork (50 times) to prevent it from blistering or rising. Chill or freeze for 30 minutes. Line pie dough snugly with foil or parchment paper. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights. Reduce oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- Heat 2 cups (500mL) evaporated milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in a medium heat proof bowl. Whisk in remaining ½ cup (125mL) evaporated milk. Beat in eggs. Slowly add hot milk to bowl. Stir to combine. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until thick.
- Place chocolate in a large heat proof bowl. Strain hot mixture over chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until mixture is cold, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Spoon cold mixture into pie crust.
- Whip cream until light. Add icing sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff and cream holds its peaks. Spoon over chocolate filling. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- *Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Serving (210 g)|