Homemade Whole Wheat English Muffins
|1 cup||250 mL warm water (100°F/38°C)|
|1 tsp||5 mL sugar|
|1 ½ tsp||7 mL active dry yeast|
|2 cups||500 mL Robin Hood® Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour|
|¼ cup||50 mL ground flax seeds|
|3 tbsp||45 mL melted butter, divided|
|1 tsp||5 mL salt|
|1/3 cup||50 mL cornmeal|
- Combine water, sugar and yeast in large mixing bowl. Let stand 5 minutes or until yeast is frothy.
- Add flour, ground flax, 1 tbsp (15mL) butter and salt.
- Beat using the hook attachment on medium speed, 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (30-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile, sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal. Spray ice cream scoop with non-stick spray.
- Fold dough over itself to gently deflate.
- Drop dough with ice cream scoop onto cornmeal sprinkled baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Gently form into rounded shapes. Cover with parchment paper and let rise until puffy, about 20 minutes. Flatten slightly.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and lightly brush with remaining butter. Spray a spatula with non-stick cooking spray.
- Gently transfer dough to skillet, being careful not to deflate them.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, until bottom is golden. Flip and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool.