Party Cake Cutouts
Makes:about 30 cutouts
Have your cake and hearts and clovers too! Make this treat with our classic White Cake recipe and then you and the little ones can have fun making it into shapes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line a 12” x 18” (30 cm x 46 cm) baking sheet with 1” (2.5 cm) sides with parchment paper, overlapping the 2 longer sides for easy removal.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until combined. Add half the milk and another third of the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Add remaining milk and end with the flour mixture. Stir in sprinkles.
- Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. Lightly tap pan on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut cake using 3” (7.5 cm) cookie cutters or simply cut into squares.
- Glaze: place icing sugar in a medium bowl, add 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk. Whisk until smooth. If mixture is too thick to drizzle add milk 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. Add a few drops of desired food colouring.
- Drizzle glaze over cut out cakes and top with additional sprinkles.