Classic Carrot Cake
Rich, moist and full of flavour. Carrot cake doesn’t get more classic than this.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9” (23 cm) cake pans.
- Cake: Beat oil and sugars together in a large bowl of an electric mixer, until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix just until combined. Fold in carrots. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire cooling rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire cooling rack.
- Icing: Cream butter and cream cheese in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Add icing sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add vanilla. Continue beating until fluffy. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk at a time to thin out icing if necessary.
- Assembly: Place one cake on serving dish. Spread with icing. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top with remaining icing.