Cream Cheese & Jam Filled Bread
Need we say more? Start with our Soft & Simple White Bread Video Technique for a delectable bread recipe that’s perfect for lovers of both sweet and savoury.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well. Add yeast to a large bowl.
- Heat milk to lukewarm. Stir in butter, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, salt and 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Add milk mixture and 2 cups (500 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to greased top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Cover with tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Filling: beat cream cheese, sugar, butter, flour, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll each piece of dough into 10” x 15” (25 cm x 38 cm) rectangle. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Spread jam down center of dough, lengthwise. Top with cream cheese mixture.
- Fold each end of dough over filling. Cut sides of dough in 1” (2.5 cm) strips down both sides of dough. Crisscross strips of dough over filling. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush top of loaves with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack. Eat warm or room temperature.