Fall Harvest Apple Flan
|about 4 cups||1 L 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced|
|2 tbsp||30 mL butter|
|½ tsp||2 mL cinnamon|
|1 cup||250 mL sugar|
|2 tbsp||30 mL water|
|1 can||Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk|
|1 can||300 mL Eagle Brand® Regular or Low Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk|
|1 tbsp||15 mL vanilla extract|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Fill a roasting pan half full of water. Place in oven to heat up while making flan.
- Heat butter on medium heat in large skillet. Add apples and cinnamon. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until apples are tender. Set aside.
- Stir sugar and water together in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. When sugar is dissolved, stop stirring and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture turns to caramel. When sugar is a deep golden colour, pour into a 9” x 5” (23 cm x 13 cm) loaf pan. Tilt pan to coat bottom of pan. Place reserved apples on top of caramel.
- Whisk evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Strain mixture into clean mixing bowl. Pour strained mixture into loaf pan. Apples will float to top.
- Place loaf pan in roasting pan of hot water. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Cool, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. To unmold, run a knife around edge of pan. Carefully invert on serving plate with edges to catch when completely cold.