Rustic Honey Oatmeal Bread
Fill your kitchen with the smell of honey oatmeal baked bread. Make it using our Soft & Simple White Bread Video Technique.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well. Add yeast to a large bowl.
- Heat milk to lukewarm. Stir in butter, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, honey, salt and 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Add milk mixture, 2 cups (500 mL) flour and 2 cups (500 mL) oats to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of remaining flour gradually. You may not use all of the flour so add a little at a time just until it is a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to greased top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Cover with tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape each portion into a ball approximately 8” (20 cm) in diameter.
- Place on prepared baking sheets. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Make two slashes across top of bread, 3”(7.5 cm) apart, with a sharp knife, about ½” (1.3 cm) deep.
- Brush with honey and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) on lower oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire racks.