Whether you prefer them toasted or plain, one bite of these bagels will have you wanting more.
- Dough: Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes,then stir well.
- Add eggs, oil and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) white flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour, remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar and salt. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining white flour to make a soft non-sticky dough. Knead dough on floured surface adding more flour as necessary until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (5 to 10 minutes).
- Place in separate large greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10" (25 cm) long rope. Cover remaining portions with damp tea towel while shaping rope. Bring ends of rope together overlapping slightly. Pinch to join ends. Place on floured baking sheet. Cover with tea towel. Let rise in warm place 15 minutes.
- Poaching: Bring water and sugar for poaching liquid to a boil in large saucepan. Keep at a simmer on medium heat.
- Slip bagels into water, 3 at a time. Poach 1 minute, turn and poach 1 minute longer. Remove to a well greased baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Glaze: Brush top of bagel with beaten egg. Sprinkle with seeds if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven, on middle oven rack, for 18 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- For a different flavour, replace Robin Hood Best For Bread Whole Wheat Flour with Homestyle White Flour. You can also substitute Robin Hood Best For Bread Multigrain Blend flour for the Homestyle White and Whole Wheat flour.
- For a fruity taste, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries or raisins to your dry ingredients.
|Servings Per Recipe||Per 1 bagel (45 g)|
|Saturated Fat||0.6 g|