Made by adding colourful layers, sweet vanilla icing and fresh raspberries to our Irresistibly Easy White Cake. One bite of Ombre Cake will have you over the moon.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease four 8” (20cm) cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until combined. Add half the milk and another third of the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Add remaining milk and end with the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
- Divide batter into 4 separate small bowls (about 1 ¼ cups/300mL each). Add a few drops of each food colouring to each bowl. Stir until well mixed. Place batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pans to loosen the cakes and invert pan onto rack to remove. Turn cake top side up.
- Cool completely before icing.
- Icing: Beat shortening, 3 cups (750mL) icing sugar, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer for 5 minutes in a large bowl. Add remaining icing sugar, 1 cup (250mL) at a time, beating for 1 minute after addition. If icing is too thick, thin out with 1 tbsp (15mL) milk at a time.
- Place one layer of cake on serving plate or cake board. Spread on layer of icing. Repeat with each layer. Ice top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To melt chocolate, bring 1-2” (2.5 cm-5 cm) of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place chocolate in heat proof bowl and place bowl over boiling water. Ensure bottom of bowl does not touch the water. Remove saucepan from heat. Let stand 3-5 minutes and stir.
- If you do not have 4 cake pans, place batter in the pans that you have and wait for the cakes to come out of the pans, wash and reuse for the remaining batter.
|Servings Size per recipe||1 serving (170 g)|