Asparagus Custard Quiche
Serve up this savoury specialty for a meal your family will never forget. This great tasting quiche is filled with asparagus, red pepper and Gruyère cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Pastry: Blend flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work in shortening until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 mL) water over dough; using a fork, mix in until dough is slightly moist. Add remaining water if needed. Shape dough into a ½” (1 cm) thick flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough on a floured board into a circle measuring 12” (30 cm). Loosely roll dough around rolling pin, and then unroll easing dough into 9” (23 cm) deep dish pie plate.
- Filling: Cook asparagus according to package directions, 2 minutes. Drain well, pat dry and cut into 2” (5 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Sprinkle pie shell with onion and red pepper. Whisk eggs with evaporated milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and dill. Pour into shell. Scatter asparagus on top.
- Bake on lower shelf of preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until set. Let stand 15 minutes.