Pear & Walnut Galette
- Preheat: oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crust: Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is blended and shortening resembles pea-sized pieces. Beat egg, water and vinegar together. Pour all liquid evenly over flour mixture. Stir with fork until all of the mixture is moistened. Immediately roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, into a 16” (40 cm) circle. Don’t worry if it comes out a different shape, the more rustic looking the better! Transfer pastry to prepared baking sheet. If dough tears, just push it back together.
- Filling: Combine pears, walnuts, sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl. Pile fruit mixture in middle of pastry, leaving a 2” (5 cm) border. Fold edges over, overlapping slightly. Brush pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake: in preheated oven 65 to 70 minutes, or until crust is dark golden brown and pears are tender. Cool on wire cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Galette can be baked a day ahead. Store wrapped with foil or plastic wrap at room temperature.
- Freezing: not recommended