Sprinkle Tart Pie
|4 cups||1L Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour|
|1 ½ tsp||7 mL salt|
|1 ½ cup||375 mL well-chilled Crisco® All Vegetable Shortening|
|10-16 tbsp||150-240 mL ice cold water|
|4 cups||1 L sliced strawberries|
|½ cup||125 mL Smucker’s® Pure Strawberry Jam|
|500 mL||2 cups icing sugar|
|4-6 tbsp||50-90 mL milk|
- 1. Mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut chilled shortening into ½” (1 cm) cubes. Work shortening cubes into flour mixture using a pastry blender or two knives in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- 2. Sprinkle half the maximum recommended amount of ice water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoonful (15 mL), until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
- 3. Divide dough into two balls, one ball slightly larger than the other. Flatten into ½” (1 cm) thick round disks. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days for ease in rolling.
- 4. Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). Grease a 10” x 15” (25 cm x 38 cm) baking pan.
- 5. Combine sliced strawberries and jam in a bowl.
- 6. Roll larger ball of dough from center outward on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle 1” (2.5 cm) wider than baking pan for the bottom crust. Transfer dough to pan by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center the rolling pin over the pan, and then unroll, easing dough into baking pan. Roll out remaining dough and set aside.
- 7. Spread strawberry mixture over bottom crust leaving a 1”(2.5 cm) edge. Brush edges with beaten egg. Top with remaining pastry. Press edges together with fork. Poke holes with fork over top of pie. Brush with remaining beaten egg.
- 8. Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. Lower heat to 375°F (190°C). Continue baking 45 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- 9. Glaze: mix icing sugar and 4 tbsp (60 mL) milk. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk at a time until glaze is spreadable. Spread over cooling crust and decorate with sprinkles.