Canadian Cheddar Cheese Bread
This deliciously cheesy bread is perfect any family occasion. Baked with delicious cheddar and parmesan cheeses and spicy hot pepper sauce there won’t be a slice to spare!
- Dissolve sugar in warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Beat in oil, salt, hot pepper sauce and egg until smoothly blended. Add Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) flour. Beat well. Add more flour until mixture becomes too stiff to stir and cleans sides of bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary to make a soft dough. Continue kneading until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with parchment paper and tea towel.
- Let Rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch Down. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead in the shredded cheddar cheese until well distributed. Divide into 2 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in 2 well greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (1.5 L ) loaf pans. Cover with tea towel.
- Let Rise in warm place until dough rises 1 1/2" (3 cm) above top of pan in centre and corners are filled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C
- Bake on lower rack of preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- This recipe makes 2 loaves. Try some of the following for variety:
- Mini Cheese Loaves: Prepare as above, dividing dough into 6 portions. Shape and bake in 5" x 2 1/2" x 2" (13 cm x 6 cm x 5 cm) loaf pans. Reduce rising and baking time by approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix in 1/2 lb (250 g) cooked and chopped bacon or ham with the cheese. Add chopped green onions if desired.
- Grease pans very well with shortening as cheese tends to stick when it melts.