Add a special touch to any dinner with these crisp and tasty breadsticks. It’s impossible to eat just one!
- Heat, in saucepan, milk just until steaming. Stir in oil and honey. Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle, in large bowl, sugar over water and add yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy. Stir warm milk mixture into yeast mixture. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of flour stirring until mixture is smooth. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir, with wooden spoon, in salt (and chives, thyme and rosemary, if using) and gradually stir in 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) of flour until a soft dough is formed. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Sprinkling surface with extra flour as needed to prevent sticking, knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cut dough into 28 pieces. With palms, roll each piece into 10" (25 cm) lengths. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 1" (2.5 cm) apart. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Brush tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with seeds or coarse salt.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- These are also divine just sprinkled with grated Cheddar cheese before baking.
- Kids will have a great time rolling dough.