Harvest Pumpkin Soup
Makes:about 6 servings
Enjoy this flavourful soup all year round by using fresh pumpkin in the fall and canned pumpkin purée any other time. Not only is it chock full of vegetables, it’s delicious too!
- Peel and seed fresh pumpkin. Cut into chunks.
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil in large saucepan for 5 minutes. Stir in ginger, pumpkin and broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Purée mixture in batches in food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in same saucepan. Add flour, stirring until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened. Add pumpkin mixture to milk mixture. Reheat to serve.
- Winter squashes such as butternut or hubbard are excellent substitutes.
- Thin with additional milk or broth if desired.