These soft and tender rolls are easy to make and just as easy to eat! We dare you to have just one!
- Dissolve sugar and water in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, stir well.
- Add warm water, brown sugar, salt and 3 cups (750 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Using dough hook attachment beat dough on low speed until flour is incorporated. Increase speed to medium and continue beating for 5 minutes. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Knead dough on a floured surface, adding more flour as necessary, until no longer sticky (about 5 minutes). Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel.
- Rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°C-29°C) until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Punch down dough. Divide into 16 pieces and form into balls. Place on prepared baking sheets. Using sharp scissors cut an X in centre of each roll. Cover with towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bring 12 cups (3 L) water to a boil in a large stock pot. When rolls have doubled in size, slowly add baking soda and sugar to boiling water. Water will foam up. Boil 4 rolls at a time for 1 minute. Remove from water with slotted spoon, drain and place back on baking sheets. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in preheated oven until brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- Serve with Cheesy Mustard Dipping Sauce. View our Cheesy Mustard Dipping Sauce recipe. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Just reheat before serving.