Gnocchi with Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage
Gnocchi are little dumplings made from potatoes, flour and egg and they can be purchased in the fresh pasta section of your grocery store. Here they are paired roasted squash in a butter, sage, cheese and sauce made with Carnation® Evaporated Milk. An elegant yet satisfying dish!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6-1 cup (250mL) servings
2 lb (1kg) butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½” (1.3cm) pieces
2 tbsp (30mL) Crisco® Canola or Vegetable Oil
1 tsp (5mL) salt
¼ tsp (1mL) pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 lb (500g) store-bought gnocchi
2 tbsp (30mL) butter
2 tbsp (30mL) Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour
1 can (375mL) Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk
½ cup (125mL) blue cheese or grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp (30mL) chopped fresh sage
½ tsp (2mL) salt
¼ cup (50mL) chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss butternut squash with oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes add the chopped onion to the baking sheet. Continue baking for an additional 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Meanwhile prepare gnocchi according to package directions.
4. Melt butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes. Add evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add cheese, sage and gnocchi. Cook, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
5. Garnish with chopped walnuts if desired
1. Replace gnocchi with tortellini or any of your favourite pastas.
2. Use any of your fvourite cheese. If using mozzarella or cheddar grate it before adding to mixture